... as India itself might, could it be viewed ...

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Canada
...and the day generally, whose rough desiccated surface acquired as it receded a definite outline, as India itself might, could it be viewed from the moon.
A Passage to India by E.M. Forster

If this is a past unreal condition, should it not be 'might have', 'could have?'

as India itself might, could it be viewed from the moon.
A Passage to India by E.M. Forster
If this is a past unreal condition,
It isn't. It's a general-time hypothetical condition.

Last edited:
...and the day generally, whose rough desiccated surface acquired as it receded a definite outline, as India itself might, could it be viewed from the moon.
Don't we need a question mark after "moon"?

Since I asked the punctuation question, I am posting the complete sentence found in Chapter VIII of A Passage to India by E.M. Forster.

Mrs. Moore continued to murmur “Red ten on a black knave,” Miss Quested to assist her, and to intersperse among the intricacies of the play details about the hyena, the engagement, the Maharani of Mudkul, the Bhattacharyas, and the day generally, whose rough desiccated surface acquired as it receded a definite outline, as India itself might, could it be viewed from the moon.

What an awful sentence to analyze (and understand)! As written, why isn't there a question mark after the word "moon"?

I agree that it's a bit of a nightmare to analyse but I've finally worked it out and no question mark is required. Here's my attempt to write a simplified version (the end part, at least):

... the day (as it came to an end) acquired a definite outline, in the same way that India might, if it could be viewed from the moon.

Nicely done, @emsr2d2 . 🙏 I like your version better than the original.

I am so happy that E. M. Forster never appeared on my summer reading lists! ;)

So, is it a present unreal or a past unreal?

General time.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back