Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Save as otherwise provided under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, 2002 (15 of 2003), the provisions of the Criminal Law Amendment Ordinance, 1944 (Ord. 38 of 1944) shall, as far as may be, apply to the attachment, administration of attached property and execution of order of attachment or confiscation of money or property procured by means of an offence under this Act. Save as otherwise provided under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, 2002 (15 of 2003), the provisions of the Criminal Law Amendment Ordinance, 1944 (Ord. 38 of 1944) shall, as far as may be, apply to the attachment, administration of attached property and execution of order of attachment or confiscation of money or property procured by means of an offence under this Act.

What does the phrase "as far as may be" mean? I understand what "as far as possible" means. But, the usage of may here is difficult to understand.

Context: The above-quoted paragraph is a legal provision.

I've found a similar sentence where this phrase is used. Perhaps, it will help. Here it is: "The mortgagor and mortgagee may, by agreement in writing, whether or not contained in the mortgage deed, reserve to or confer on the mortgagor or the mortgagee, or both, any further or other powers of leasing or having reference to leasing; and any further or other powers so reserved or conferred shall be exercisable, as far as may be, as if they were conferred by this Part, and with all the like incidents, effects and consequences:" Link

I ran this passage through Google Translator. Then I also visited this page. The phrase 'as far as may be' does appear to be synonymous with 'as far as possible'.

What does the phrase "as far as may be" mean?
In the context, the phrase is elliptical for "as far as [the provisions] may be [applied to the attachment, administration . . . and execution . . . under this Act]."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back