Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Ireland
I always have problems when it comes to using articles in English and find it even more difficult when I have to enumerate some things, places etc.
Which of the following sentences are correct (let's imagine I'm asking a hotel employee what facilities they have at their hotel):

- Do you have a swimming pool, a sauna, satellite television and a health spa?
('a' - before countable nouns; no article before 'satellite tv' because it's uncountable)

- Do you have a swimming pool, sauna, satellite tv and health spa?
- Do you have swimming pool, sauna, satellite tv and health spa?

I sometimes see descriptions of hotels, restaurants where there are no articles. Can I omit them just like I did in some of the sentences above?

Thanks in advance for all the replies :)

I always have problems when it comes to using articles in English and find it even more difficult when I have to enumerate some things, places etc.
Which of the following sentences are correct (let's imagine I'm asking a hotel employee what facilities they have at their hotel):

- Do you have a swimming pool, a sauna, satellite television and a health spa? Yes.
('a' - before countable nouns; no article before 'satellite tv' because it's uncountable)

- Do you have a swimming pool, sauna, satellite tv and health spa? Yes.
- Do you have swimming pool, sauna, satellite tv and health spa? No. You must start with "a" if a singular countable item comes first in the list.
Also

- Do you have satellite tv, a sauna, swimming pool, and a health spa?

I sometimes see descriptions of hotels, restaurants where there are no articles. Can I omit them just like I did in some of the sentences above? Yes; as above.

Thanks in advance for all the replies :)

You can get away with missing out the definite article in spoken English, but not in written English.

Now it seems quite understandable :) Having in mind the rules provided by you, I can write the following sentences (correct me if I'm wrong):

- Our guesthouse has rooms with saunas (no articles - plural), a swimming pool (the first item on the list which is singular) and a tennis court (the last item singular).

And what if I mention such things enumerating them one by one using a dash:

Our guesthouse has:
- 5 rooms
- swimming pool (with or without 'a')
- tennis court

etc.

Our guesthouse has:
- 5 rooms
- swimming pool (with or without 'a')
- tennis court

This is fine without the articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back