Articles. I have a mother, a father and a sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello

Is it necessary to include an article before each word in a sentence like this one; I have a mother, a father and a sister.

Re: Articles

I have a mother, a father and a sister.

That sentence is correct, but it could also be correct to say I have a mother, father, and sister.

That sentence is correct, but it could also be correct to say I have a mother, father, and sister.
Why isn't it necessary to use an article before each word?

Just take it from us that you have a choice.

Why isn't it necessary to use an article before each word?

Sometimes, when we are listing things, we can get away with omitting articles after we have mentioned the first item on the list.

However, I don't recommend you do this until your use of articles generally is more proficient.

Sometimes, when we are listing things, we can get away with omitting articles after we have mentioned the first item on the list.

However, I don't recommend you do this until your use of articles generally is more proficient.

I see thank you. I was going to ask about the words dinner/breakfast/lunch/ why is an indefinite article never used before them?

I was going to ask about the words dinner/breakfast/lunch/ why is an indefinite article never used before them?

It is not true to say that articles are never used before these words. It all depends how you use them.

It is not true to say that articles are never used before these words. It all depends how you use them.
I mean can we say I don't have a/the breakfast in the morning?
or I always have the/a breakfast in the morning.

I mean can we say "I don't have a/the breakfast in the morning" or "I always have the/a breakfast in the morning"?

Please get into the habit of marking out the sentences you are asking us about by enclosing them in quotation marks (as I have done above) or numbering them (as I showed you in one of your other threads).

"to have breakfast" is a fixed phrase so using an article in your sentences doesn't work. However, it is possible to use an article in things like "This morning, I had a breakfast of orange juice, toast and jam", "We are going to have a special lunch on my birthday", and "What time will the dinner start?"

Please note that I have changed your thread title.

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back