Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The following is a translation from Chinese by ChatGPT:

Arriving at the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park in southwest Wales, the only coastal national park in the UK, there is a 25-metre deep blue lagoon. It was formed in 1910 when local fishermen detonated explosives in a former quarry, creating a small harbour and waterway. Today, it is a popular spot for student groups to practise diving.

Is the first sentence grammatically correct?

I knew there's a term for it which has been used in this forum, but it slipped my mind.

When I asked ChatGPT about the correctness of the sentence, the answer it gave was that the mistake has to do with sub-verb agreement. It was intelligent enough to pick up and correct the mistake in the sentence but not enough to provide the explanation.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Is that supposed to mean 'subject-verb agreement'?

How is the corrected version read?
Yes, it should have been "subject-verb agreement".

Here are the question and answer:
Question:
Is this sentence grammatically correct? Arriving at the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park in southwest Wales, the only coastal national park in the UK, there is a 25-metre deep blue lagoon.

Answer:
The sentence you provided is almost grammatically correct. However, there is a slight issue with the subject-verb agreement. The sentence can be improved as follows:
"Arriving at the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park in southwest Wales, which is the only coastal national park in the UK, you will find a 25-meter deep blue lagoon."
In this revision, the phrase "which is the only coastal national park in the UK" provides additional information about the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. The use of "you will find" ensures that the subject ("you") agrees with the verb ("will find").

@tedmc Two things. One, the revision is an improvement. Two, I would say "there is a slight issue with subject-verb agreement". (That brings me some comfort.)

You can tell that to ChatGPT. I think it is quite a feat that a machine is able to pick up its own grammar mistake (from a translation from Chinese language no less) and correct it. I didn't expect it to go to the extent of explaining in terms of "dangling participle".

@tedmc When I said "That brings me some comfort" I meant that it is a little scary that a machine is so good at that. On the other hand, it doesn't really understand language.

As I recently pointed put in another thread, ChatGPT assesses both of the following sentences as equally correct:

1. Don't put the flowers in the vase.

2. Don't put the kangaroos in the suitcase.

As I recently pointed put in another thread, ChatGPT assesses both of the following sentences as equally correct:

1. Don't put the flowers in the vase.

2. Don't put the kangaroos in the suitcase.
But the grammar is fine in both of them. The difference is one is funny, and the other isn't.
😊

Does ChatGPT have a sense of humour?

When I say it has a sense of humour, I mean it knows when you're making a joke and it can respond appropriately. It's remarkable how subtle you can be and still it understands that you're joking. It's also surprisingly good at detecting sarcasm, which I find highly impressive. It can generate humorous responses very well, too.

Last month some lawyer decided to be lazy and used ChatGPT to write up his legal filing in a lawsuit case, and submitted it to the court. The problem was, that all the cases it cited for legal precedent were bogus, made up by ChatGPT itself. :D

The lawyer was later fined five grand by the court. Then, the case itself was thrown out of court because the statute of limitations had expired.

Maybe the client can sue the lawyer. :ROFLMAO:

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back