Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) The people who have arranged marriage ar the happier ones in comparison to others.

2) The people who marry for love are the happier ones in comparison to others.

Can we also say " Are the happy ones" instead of "Happy ones"?

Please check my sentences.

1) The people who have arranged marriages are the happier ones, in comparison to others.

More natural: People in arranged marriages are happier, compared to others.

2) People who marry for love are the happier ones, in comparison to others.

More natural: People who marry for love are happier than others.

Can we also say "are the happy ones" instead of "happy ones"?

Both would be wrong in those sentences. You're comparing, so you need the -er suffix. You can simply say happier.

Each is happier compared to whom?:

- In 1, people in arranged marriages are happier than all other people.

- In 2, people who marry for love are happier than everyone else.

Is that what you want to say?

1) [STRIKE]The[/STRIKE] People who have arranged marriages are [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] happier [STRIKE]ones[/STRIKE] in comparison to [STRIKE]others[/STRIKE] those who don't.

2) [STRIKE]The[/STRIKE] People who marry for love are [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] happier [STRIKE]ones[/STRIKE] in comparison to [STRIKE]others[/STRIKE] those who don't.

Can we also say "... are the happy ones" instead of "... happy ones"?

There's no need for "ones" at all so your question is really redundant. See my changes above for more natural sentences.

I failed to add that using "than" is more natural than "in comparison to" (or "in comparison with").

I failed to add that using "than" is more natural than "in comparison to" (or "in comparison with").

Okay, so we can ask "Would like to have arranged marriage or love?"

Is my sentence correct?

The People who have arranged marriages are the happier ones in comparison to others those who don't.

Why "Those who don't" not "Those who haven't"? If we use "Have" in the posivite part then we have to use "Haven't" in the negative part of the sentence in these kinds of sentences. Am I correct?

Okay, so we can ask "Would like to have arranged marriage or love?"

Is my sentence correct?

No. Look at it carefully. You've missed out (at least) two words.

The People who have arranged marriages are the happier ones in comparison to others those who don't.

Why "Those who don't" not "Those who haven't"? If we use "Have" in the posivite part then we have to use "Haven't" in the negative part of the sentence in these kinds of sentences. Am I correct?
Slow down, take a few deep breaths, and write a new, corrected version of this post. Look for extraneous words. Pay attention to capitalization, the correct form of questions, and spelling.

No. Look at it carefully. You've missed out (at least) two words.

Okay, so we can ask "Would like to have an arranged marriage or love marriage?"

A new thread having been opened regarding this sentence, I'm closing this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back