Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
The sentences are from "English Grammar Practice" by L.G. Alexaner.

In this exercise according to the book's answer key only "are coming" and "are asking" are correct in #7 but both the present simple and continuous are correct in #9.

7. "People are always coming in and asking me to help them".

Isn't it also correct to say "People always come in and ask me to help them"?
9. "I am enjoying (or enjoy) the job and I am finding it very amusing.

If the person is currently enjoying her new job if this is a current situation most books say only "present progressive" works.
Sentence #9 the book says both are correct: "I am enjoying (or enjoy) the job and I am finding it very amusing."
I tried to delete the first screenshot. The second one is better. I typed the book's examples, though.
IMG_20210215_135136.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-02-15-13-26-35-902_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-02-15-13-26-35-902_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 5
The sentences are from "English Grammar Practice" by L.G. Alexander.

In this exercise according to the book's answer key only "are coming" and "are asking" are correct in #7 but both the present simple and continuous are correct in #9.

7. "People are always coming in and asking me to help them".

Isn't it also correct to say "People always come in and ask me to help them"?

Yes. the writer might feel that the other version is more natural. They both seem fine to me.

9. "I am enjoying (or enjoy) the job, and I am finding it very amusing.

If the person is currently enjoying her new job if this is a current situation most books say only "present progressive" works.
Sentence #9 the book says both are correct: "I am enjoying (or enjoy) the job and I am finding it very amusing."

Yes, both are correct. And you can also say either "and I find" or "and I am finding."
There are subtle differences that a linguist can discuss. But for practical purposes, they all say the same thing.

I think the present continuous tense gives a sense of immediacy better than the simple present tense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back