Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I have seen this picture.
But I am not sure what the second sentence in it means. Plus, Would you say this sentence is grammatically correct?

Anyone ever tell you snitches get stitches

img.jpg

It's very casual and informal phrasing. The full, standard grammatical form is this:

Did anyone ever tell you that snitches get stitches?

It means this:

Snitches = People who tell on others
get stitches = get physically attacked

The idea is that it is dishonourable to tell on others, and so those who do it deserve punishment. It is meant as a veiled threat.

Note: The use of past simple gives it an American flavour. A British English speaker is more likely to use present perfect.

Last edited:
The idea being that the snitch gets hurt badly enough in said attack to require stitches, although 'stitches' is also being used somewhat figuratively here as a synonym for 'requiring medical attention'.

Another version is: 'snitches end up in ditches" - i.e. the retaliation results in a murdered corpse dumped alongside the road.

Here's a funny video of Paul Bettany doing a mashup of the two phrases. There's some debate over which version is "correct". :)

"Stitches" is a medical term that refers to a medical procedure that is used to close a wound.

"Stitches" is a medical term that refers to a medical procedure that is used to close a wound.

That's true but I agree with Skrej that the injury that might be inflicted on the snitch does not have to result in stitches. It could be just about any relatively serious injury.

There seems to be another expression with a similar meaning: Grasses get slashes

Where I come from, it doesn't come close to rhyming!

The opening syllable can rhyme in certain accents within BrE, but I would never say that -sses rhymes properly with -shes.

Since it's a very a Cockney word (originally, at least) ...:

grass = grasshopper = shopper (A 'shopper' is someone who 'shops someone in'.)

... I find it hard to say it in anything other than a London accent, in which it doesn't rhyme. True Cockneys know how to rhyme properly—they might call you a 'duck's arse'.

There seems to be another expression with a similar meaning: Grasses get slashes

Where I come from, it doesn't come close to rhyming!
It doesn't work in American English anyway. Those of us unfamiliar with Rumpole of the Bailey and Frost won't have a clue what "grasses" are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back