Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,
Could you please give me the right interjection, if any, used in the following context?

You ring a frind to take a matter up with him, he picks up the phone and after exchanging a few pleasantries he says he's having dinner (in the middle of having dinner). In my country, immediately hearing this, we'd say some pleasantry roughly meaning 'hope it's delicious'. The same expression is used by a host when the guests thank them for the mail they've just had. Is there such an expression used in English? (In Persian the expressian is not limited to a certain register, and is commonly used among friends.)

Can the expression 'bon appetit' be used in everyday English?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Yes, English lacks a suitable phrase, so we use bon appetit quite often. But it is usually prospective. You wouldn't say that after a meal.

Hi there,
Could you please give me the right interjection, if any, used in the following context?

You ring a frind to take a matter up with him, he picks up the phone and after exchanging a few pleasantries he says he's having dinner (in the middle of having dinner). In my country, immediately hearing this, we'd say some pleasantry roughly meaning 'hope it's delicious'. The same expression is used by a host when the guests thank them for the mail they've just had. Is there such an expression used in English? (In Persian the expressian is not limited to a certain register, and is commonly used among friends.)

Can the expression 'bon appetit' be used in everyday English?

Thanks a lot in advance!
It's certainly used, but I don't know how common it is. I use it, but my wife is French and I speak French.

Thanks to you both!

Then, after the meal, I suppose, we can simply say 'hope you've enjoyed/liked it', can't we?

I hope someone will also tell me if it's still common in everyday English or not.

Best! :)

Some Americans will say "Dig in!" but this is quite informal, maybe even rustic.

Personal opinion only.

When British families still eat together, I have the impression that 'bon appetit', or some equivalent is not normally used. When guests are present, the person doing the cookng may well utter some such words as "Please start/don't wait for me" -s/he is probably still involved in bringing in or serving the food.

Most of the people I have dined with over the last few years have used 'bon appetit', or the local version (for me it is now "dobrou chut' "), but I have lived out of England for the last thirteen years.

May I know how 'bon appetit' is pronounced, please?

May I know how 'bon appetit' is pronounced, please?
It depends on how good the speaker's command of French is. It will be something like: /bɒnæpe'ti:/

It depends on how good the speaker's command of French is. It will be something like: /bɒnæpe'ti:/

Thank you a lot! :)
This is so helpful. I thought there might be an English way of pronouncing it.

Best!

An American or British server delivering your food will often say 'Enjoy your meal'.

Rover

On the phone, I would say something like I won't keep you from your dinner. Enjoy your meal/bon appetit and end the call.

On the phone, I would say something like I won't keep you from your dinner. Enjoy your meal/bon appetit and end the call.

This is just great! Thanks a lot! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back