Any good websites/resources for learning English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi! I usually read BBC or CNN for learning English. Any other suggestions for intermediate learners?:-D

Hi! I usually watch BBC or CNN for learning English. Any other suggestions for intermediate learners?:-D
Movies and TV shows will teach you more conversational English. The grammar is often bad, but the sound and usage will help.

You should also read books, articles, and essays by current writers. (Books by long-gone writers often use outdated English, which can mislead you.) As always, when you come to anything you don't understand, just ask us here!

Hi! I usually read BBC or CNN for learning English.

CharlieBernstein said:
Hi! I usually watch BBC or CNN for learning English.

It's entirely possible that Maybo was referring to the BBC and CNN websites.

Neither "read" nor "watch" works with "for learning English". With both verbs, use "to learn English" or "to improve my English". If you want to end with "for learning English", start with "I use the BBC or CNN ...".

[/COLOR]It's entirely possible that Maybo was referring to the BBC and CNN websites.

Neither "read" nor "watch" works with "for learning English". With both verbs, use "to learn English" or "to improve my English". If you want to end with "for learning English", start with "I use the BBC or CNN ...".

If I add "websites" or "news" into the sentence, is it necessary to add "the"?

I use the BBC news for learning English.

If I don't add "websites" or "news", do I still need to add "the"? Should I say "I use the BBC for learning English"?

"BBC News" is a title in its own right so you don't need the article. However, we say "the BBC" because the company is called "The British Broadcasting Corporation".

NOT A TEACHER

Maybo, have you ever visited the website of the Voice of America (the radio station owned by the American government)? It has a section with news written for learners of English.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back