Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hello everybody!

Please, I'd like to know if I can replace "may be substituted by another function or other functions" for "may be substituted by other function(s)" in academic writing. If not, would you please suggest other solution?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
We do need some sample sentences but also be aware that it is very easy, even for native speakers, to get tenses muddled when using structures like these.

Hello everybody!

Please, I'd like to know if I can replace "may be substituted by another function or other functions" for "may be substituted by other function(s)" in academic writing. If not, would you please suggest another way of saying it?

The original seems fine to me, but it is, of course, not a complete sentence.

First, thank you for answering so readily to my question and for the welcoming!

The text is about compensation of psychological functions in the development of children with disability. It says that one faulty function may be substituted by another function or by other functions.

I thought using parenthetical plural would be a good idea because the word 'function' was already present in the sentence, so I would avoid using it two times more by replacing
"may be substituted by another function or other functions" with "may be substituted by other function(s)."

Last edited by a moderator:
Note the correct spelling of "faulty".

I have removed the extra text you added to post #1 as it was identical to post #5. Please don't edit posts after they have responses as it can make those responses appear nonsensical.

Functions

First, thank you for answering so readily to my question and for the welcoming!

The text is about compensation of psychological functions in the development of children with disabilities. It says that one faulty function may be substituted by another function or [STRIKE]by[/STRIKE] other functions.

I thought using a parenthetical plural would be a good idea because the word 'function' was already present in the sentence, so I would avoid using it two times more by replacing
"may be substituted by another function or other functions" with "may be substituted by other function(s)."

What do you mean by "substituted" there? "Replaced"?

I wouldn't worry about duplicating "function" in that sentence.

(You might say: "Thanks for answering so quickly." (Don't count on that every time.))

Yes, replaced!

I'd say "with other functions." It's less wordy, and it's still clear that it allows one or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back