Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
That is another argument for saying , as I did in post 22, that that is in a different sub-class of relative pronouns from who and which.
I'd like to know if "saying" means "to claim".

You could make that argument. I would just say he's making a statement.

You could make that argument. I would just say he's making a statement.

So does "saying" have the meaning "to express an opinion"?

Used in a sentence, yes.

He's saying that's what he thinks.
:)

Exactly. Don't read more into it than you need to, Gold. You know what say means: express in words.

Saying/stating/claiming/believing/thinking could all be used in 5jj's sentence without changing the meaning greatly.

Saying/stating/claiming/believing/thinking could all be used in 5jj's sentence without changing the meaning greatly.

Or even "writing".

And others. ;-)

I don't agree fully with the answers above. 5jj's use of saying doesn't just mean 'express in words'. It's another way of saying 'arguing'.

It's interesting for me to read what people think my words meant.

I think I probably used say in the way I often use it in these forums. as an alternative to write. Say somehow seems a little more informal to me.

But you don't need to support everything you 'write' with arguments. Only when the writing is expressing a certain opinion/claim/argument. It's very clear that you were defending the position of classifying that as a pronoun, even if you weren't fully committed to that position.

GoldfishLord's interpretation in post #1 is correct.

It's interesting for me to read what people think my words meant.

It's even more interesting when I am told that other people know what I meant to say better than I do myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back