announce king v. proclaim king

Status
Not open for further replies.
We normally use only 'pronounce' in such situations.

Does normally imply that announce and proclaim is odd or incorrect? Why do dictionaries give such examples, "proclaimed king" and some books have "announced king"?

Thank you.

Sorry. There was an error in my post. I have now corrected it.

It's strange to me that you natives sometimes might confuse words. What do you think about the book example of "announced king of Rome" given in the link? Is it odd or incorrect as now "normally" would imply to just "announce"?

Thank you.

The book you quote is written in what looks like a poor attempt to reproduce the language of the King James Bible. Don't use it as an example of modern English.

The book you quote is written in what looks like a poor attempt to reproduce the language of the King James Bible. Don't use it as an example of modern English.

Hence now I understand that announce is incorrect. Would you offer an identical verb to proclaim in he was proclaimed king or a phrase identical to proclaim king?

Thank you.

There's no identical verb or phrase.. The verb 'proclaimed' is perfect for this context.

Some of us refuse worms quiet orphan. We call it 'senior momentums'.

Would somebody explain above? What worms, what quiet orphan, what senior momentus? Senior Momentus is a very rare phrase. Even onelook do not find word momentus.
Thank you.

Piscean wrote a humorous post.

Some of us refuse worms quiet orphan = Some of us confuse words quite often.

refuse > confuse
worms > words
quiet > quite
orphan > often

It was an amusing way of explaining why he wrote "proclaimed" instead of "pronounced". I would say that "... was proclaimed king" is more natural and common than "... pronounced/announced king".

Piscean wrote a humorous post.

Some of us refuse worms quiet orphan = Some of us confuse words quite often.

refuse > confuse
worms > words
quiet > quite
orphan > often

It was an amusing way of explaining why he wrote "proclaimed" instead of "pronounced". I would say that "... was proclaimed king" is more natural and common than "... pronounced/announced king".

Is this style called sathir?

Thank you.

Definitely not. You might have meant "satire".

Even though certain words may have similar meanings, often the context will dictate which is more appropriate. To 'proclaim' something is much more grandiose than to simply 'announce' something. Hence it's more appropriate to 'proclaim' a king, then to merely 'announce' a king. 'Announcing' a king downplays the significance somewhat. "Today is Monday. Expect rain in the afternoon, and there's also a new king. In other news...."

Similarly, unless I was trying to be intentionally humorous or bombastic, I wouldn't 'proclaim' that I'm getting married. Yes, it's a notable event, but it doesn't have much significance to the general public beyond my immediate circle of friends and family.

I should have learnt by now that that's usually a mistake. :-(
Your humour wasn't missed by everyone. For example, I wouldn't have missed it. :)

"Today is Monday. Expect rain in the afternoon, and there's also a new king. In other news....".

Would you explain this part more clearly?

Thank you.

Would somebody explain above? What worms, what quiet orphan, what senior momentus? Senior Momentus is a very rare phrase. Even onelook do not find word momentus.
Thank you.

He wrote "momentums" not momentus as you claimed.

It was more Piscean humour. He used a Latin-sounding word "momentums" which we native speakers took to represent "moments". He preceded it with "senior" to give the phrase "senior moments". In English, we say we're having a "senior moment" when we find ourselves making an error or forgetting something and we blame our advancing/advanced age for the problems.

In English, we say we're having a "senior moment" when we find ourselves making an error or forgetting something and we blame our advancing/advanced age for the problems.

Also known as CRS Syndrome.

(Can't Remember Sh*t)

edit: Or Stuff, if you want a blander version.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back