[General] And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those

Status
Not open for further replies.

gookenhaim

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.[From the so-called "English Standard Version"]
Hello! I am reading the Bible, and I couldn't understand what "he" means in this context; "For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers."
It's confusing to me since if I interpret "he" as "the God", then it doesn't make sense in "he might be the firstborn among many brothers." And if I interpret it as "a person," it still is confusing in "he also predestined to be conformed to ~", since it's not explicitly mentioned if he predestined "himself" or not. (I think the confusion comes from the fact the word "predestined" wasn't used in passive form like in "someone was predestined". So I am not sure who was predestined or who predestined someone.)

You didn't get that quote from the source you have linked to. This is a problem. The Bible often uses "He", with a capital, for God. You should give us the Verse number, so we can look it up.
At this site, you can compare many versions: https://www.biblegateway.com/

The Holman Christian Standard Bible reads: Romans 8:29 (CSB) "For those He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers."
In any case, verse 33 says: "
Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies."
It's talking about God's elect. Yes, God's elect includes "those He foreknew" etc. as well as the rest that are cited - "
30 And those He predestined, He also called; and those He called, He also justified; and those He justified, He also glorified."

It's God who is doing the predestining. In Paul's opinion (at least on this occasion), God predestines who will be saved.

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

The words in red refer to God and the words in blue refer to Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back