Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I am not a teacher.

The Gateway site is right on the money.

Katie's case is different. She is working with grapes that are already on the table, so to speak. Her "as well as" means "in addition to the aforementioned".

If my understanding is correct, "as well as" de-emphasizes whatever follows it. But is that always so? What if you want to use "as well as" so as not to have too many "ands" in a sentence?

Does "as well as" de-emphasize "by adopting reports and resolutions"?

It addresses such matters primarily by putting questions to the Council of the European Union and the European Commission, as well as by adopting reports and resolutions.

If my understanding is correct, "as well as" de-emphasizes whatever follows it. But is that always so? What if you want to use "as well as" so as not to have too many "ands" in a sentence?

Does "as well as" de-emphasize "by adopting reports and resolutions"?

It addresses such matters primarily by putting questions to the Council of the European Union and the European Commission, as well as by adopting reports and resolutions.
I am not a teacher.

I'd say "primarily" takes care of that. If we drop that word and the unneeded comma: "It addresses such matters by putting questions to the Council of the European Union and the European Commission as well as by adopting reports and resolutions", then yes, it still does de-emphasize what follows more than an "and" would. I won't go so far as to say that it always does. Look at, "He is kind as well as handsome." Kindness is offered as equal to handsomeness, but this again is Katie's case.

I've been hearing "as well as" in American English lately used indiscriminately as what Fowler called "elegant variation", replacing the plain word with a highfalutin one for no good reason. It is always a style flaw, but I think that we've seen here that it can also do real damage to a sentence.

I am not a teacher.

I'd say "primarily" takes care of that. If we drop that word and the unneeded comma: "It addresses such matters by putting questions to the Council of the European Union and the European Commission as well as by adopting reports and resolutions", then yes, it still does de-emphasize what follows more than an "and" would. I won't go so far as to say that it always does. Look at, "He is kind as well as handsome." Kindness is offered as equal to handsomeness, but this again is Katie's case.

I've been hearing "as well as" in American English lately used indiscriminately as what Fowler called "elegant variation", replacing the plain word with a highfalutin one for no good reason. It is always a style flaw, but I think that we've seen here that it can also do real damage to a sentence.

I don't think "as well as" is a highfalutin or fancy term. In certain instances, it's a more elegant fit than "and." Here for example:

We provide local, national and international enterprises, as well as private individuals, with professional advice and support.

I don't think "as well as" is a highfalutin or fancy term. In certain instances, it's a more elegant fit than "and." Here for example:

We provide local, national and international enterprises, as well as private individuals, with professional advice and support.
I am not a teacher.

It is when it is plugged in where you mean "and": I have a dog as well as a cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back