Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "and their thresholds of violence" refer to "and (varies in) their thresholds of violence"? It seems not to be so. The word "threshold" is defined as "the level or point at which you start to experience something" and it is reasonable the level varies from country to country. (For example, verbal abuse against women would not be considered as a form of violence in some Asian countries yet it is considered so in the United States). I am not sure.

================
COVID-19 exacerbates violence against health workers
These incidents were probably only the “tip of the iceberg”, with many others unrecorded, Maciej Polkowski, the head of the ICRC's Health Care in Danger initiative, told The Lancet. “Unfortunately, these figures were not a surprise because violence is often exacerbated by emergencies”, he said. “We know from cross-sectional studies that the majority of health workers have experienced violence in the workplace that varies from country to country and their thresholds of violence.

Source: The Lancet Published:September 05, 2020
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31858-4/fulltext

It's a complicated subject. As I understand it, a person's threshold of violence has to do with what it would take for them to commit violence.

I think "their" refers to the countries in "country to country". In other words, such violence is more common (or easily/frequently triggered?) in some countries than others.

The quoted sentence doesn't make sense. I would guess that their is in reference to workplaces rather than to countries, but neither interpretation really makes sense.

The quoted sentence doesn't make sense. I would guess that their is in reference to workplaces rather than to countries, but neither interpretation really makes sense.

I think it is trying to say that the threshold of violence at workplaces (health facilities) varies from one country to another, presumably higher in less developed countries which are more tolerant and accomodating of inadequate services.

The thresholds of provoking violence are closely related to the level of law enforcement of a country. The less lawlessness, the less attacks targetting doctors. And vice versa.

I noted that in India they are going to have severe penalties for attacking healthcare workers. (They are not willing to tolerate that there.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back