Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
87ccbdbd-7d82-45c1-89d9-8a1e7b7a1d95.jpeg
This bleak yet enchanting story of an otherwise underrated fictional character is one to be slowly read and savoured for the masterpiece that it is.

I have difficulty understanding “otherwise”
Does the sentence mean “in some situations, the character is underrated”?

Not a teacher.

It means that aside from this work, the character of Roscille is rarely given enough attention.

Last edited:
aside from this work
Do you mean “aside from other elements of the story, the character of Roscille is rarely give enough attention“?

Not a teacher.
Do you mean “aside from other elements of the story, the character of Roscille is rarely give enough attention“?
No. She's not usually given much attention in other works, such as the original play and most interpretations, but she's the center of attention in Ava Reid's Lady Macbeth. At least that's what the Instagram post is claiming, I personally haven't read either work.

"Give" in post #2 was a typo, I meant to write "given".

Last edited:
Do you mean “aside from other elements of the story, the character of Roscille is rarely GIVEN enough attention“?
Possibly.

I can't make sense of it. I don't think this character Roscille features in any other work of fiction.

Perhaps the writer of this post mistakenly believes that Roscille is one of the witches in Macbeth.

I can't make sense of it. I don't think this character Roscille features in any other work of fiction.
I assumed that Roscille was the name given to Lady Macbeth in this reinterpretation (a fascinating feminist retelling) of "Macbeth", though, embarrassingly, I am not very familiar with the original, so I might be confused.

I'm baffled by this as well. The name Roscille rings no bells with me and Lady Macbeth herself certainly can't be described as an underrated fictional character! She's a very powerful presence in Macbeth.

Edit: OK, so kttlt is right. According to the thumbnail of this link, this book is ...
"A dark, tragic, and haunting reimagining of Shakespeare's most famous villainess. “Lady Macbeth” follows Roscille after she is wed to a Scottish brute, ..."

The important word there is "reimagining". The author is telling their version of the story of Lady Macbeth but has renamed her Roscille.

Ah, okay. It makes some sort of sense now, though I don't think one can sensibly describe Lady Macbeth as an underrated fictional character! Like emsr2d2, that's what confused me.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back