[General] An online game company is stealing....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Recently the very famous pop star Kris Wu got involved in a scandal. He was accused by the whistle blowers that he had raped girls under age. Today, an online computer game company says that users in the game can change their username if the username is Kris Wu or Wu yi fan. If users chose this name in the game, they can change it. (Usually when one creates an account in a game, they can't change that.) Many netizens say this company is stealing the popularity of Kris wu. I wrote a sentence to express this:

An online game company is stealing the popularity of Kris Wu who has been involved of a scandal rencently.

Please help me to make the italic sentence natural.

Edited: When I said "stealing the popularity", I meant that Kris Wu's scandal is being discussed by people in China so there are many people know this. Then the company tried to attract attention by mentioning Kris Wu, then people would consequently pay attention to what the company says. Then the comapny can gain popularity, more and more people might play the game.

Recently the very famous pop star Kris Wu got involved in a scandal. He was accused by [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] some whistleblowers [STRIKE]that he had raped girls under age[/STRIKE] of having sex with underage girls. Today, an online computer game company [STRIKE]says[/STRIKE] said that users in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] one of their games can change their username if [STRIKE]the username[/STRIKE] it is "Kris Wu" or "Wu yi fan". If users chose [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] one of those names in the game, they can change it. (Usually, when one creates an account in a game, [STRIKE]they[/STRIKE] one can't change [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] it.) Many netizens say this company is [STRIKE]stealing[/STRIKE] profiting from the popularity of Kris Wu. I wrote a sentence to express this:

An online game company is [STRIKE]stealing[/STRIKE] profiting from the popularity of Kris Wu, who has been involved [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] in a scandal [STRIKE]rencently[/STRIKE] recently.

Please help me to make the italic sentence natural.

Edited: When I said "stealing the popularity", I meant that Kris Wu's scandal is being discussed by people in China so [STRIKE]there are[/STRIKE] many people know [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] about him. Then the company tried to attract attention by mentioning Kris Wu, [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] so [that] people would [STRIKE]consequently[/STRIKE] pay attention to what [STRIKE]the company[/STRIKE] it says. [STRIKE]Then[/STRIKE] This way, the company [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] will gain popularity, and more and more people might play the game.

See above.

Having sex with underage girls is, by definition, rape. It's somewhat tautologous. Usually, when we use "rape", it's to refer to non-consensual sex between adults.

Much appreciated, emsr2d2.

I'm sorry because I can't express myself clearly about the idea I want to express. Kris Wu got involved in a scandal, an online company wants to attract attention then it told the public that its users can change their name if it's "Kris Wu" or "Wu yi fan". Many people didn't know this company at all before the scandal, but now we know because the company used Kris Wu's name to publize. They probably will gain popularity by doing this.

I've been pondering over this for a while. Please help again. Is the following sentence also natural? or Do I need to stick to the corrected one in #2?

An online game company is profiting from the Kris Wu's recent scandal, offering an opportunity to change their username if it is "Kris Wu" or "Wu yi fan".

Edited: I think if I say "....profiting from Kris' popularity", it'll be ambiguous because he's always very popular. I want to emphasize that the company use this scandal to increase their own popularity.

Last edited:
Often in AmE the term "statutory rape" is used for sex with a person under the age of consent. As emsr2d2 pointed out, statute law deems that to be rape, because minors cannot legally consent. (At law, deemed means conclusively presumed.)

How about fame instead of popularity?

I think the new sentence in #3 is wordy. How about my new attempt?

An online game company is using Kris Wu's recent scandal to gain more players to its database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back