Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This comes form a YouTube video.

At 3:53, the narrator pronounces ancient as if a /k/ was in it; at least that's what I hear. It's not the first time I've heard it from a native speaker.

Could you confirm he includes the /k/ sound in his pronunciation? If I'm right, and he does include a /k/, is that an alternative pronunciation or just a straight-up mistake?

You're absolutely right. It's very bizarre and I've never heard anyone do that before. He clearly says "aink-shuhnt". For me, it's a mistake. I know of no "alternative pronunciation" of the word. It should be "ain-shuhnt".

Apologies, I don't do phonetic symbols.

It just sounds like a slight slip of the tongue. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't hear the /k/. There's a slight pause between the syllables, which could give rise to the idea. But I don't hear a clear k sound.

I heard ˈæŋ.ʃənt which in interpreted spelling sounds like 'ANG-shunt'
I agree with one of the above commenters; it's not worth focusing on tiny irregularities like this. Sometimes people misread or mispronounce words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back