Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

In my language, there is an idiom which literary translates to "She is the flower of this party". It is used in gatherings, parties or anywhere that there are a number of people.

It is used about a person who is the "most attractive" in a group of people. I know there are different ways of talking about that in English, but I'm hoping to learn an idiom of a colorful expression if there is one.

In my younger days, she'd be called 'the belle of the ball', but I've not heard that for a long time.

EDIT: Some writers seem to use the phrase, though. [link]

When I read the subject line, I also thought of "the belle of the ball".

In my younger days, she'd be called 'the belle of the ball', but I've not heard that for a long time.

EDIT: Some writers seem to use the phrase, though. [link]

It fits the bill. In none of the dictionaries I checked was it mentioned that it's "old-fashioned".

Let's see if others know a more up-to-date version.

Edit: "belle" alone is labelled as old-fashioned in all dictionaries.

Believe me, alpacinoutd, belle of the ball is definitely old-fashioned. That doesn't mean it's obsolete, however. Note also that it refers to females only.

Believe me, alpacinoutd, belle of the ball is definitely old-fashioned. That doesn't mean it's obsolete, however. Note also that it refers to females only.

I always thought anything that is old-fashioned is more or less obsolete too!
So, is it okay to use this? I mean is it possible that someone giggles when they hear this?

So, is it okay to use ? I mean is it possible that someone [STRIKE]giggles[/STRIKE] would giggle if [STRIKE]when[/STRIKE] they heard this?
It would work in many contexts if it were said in a somewhat light-hearted way.

Someone who draws attention is said to light up the room. It may be remarked that interested people's heads swivel when such a person walks by.

"The pick of the litter" refers to the best from a group. Not necessarily most attractive, but the best by whatever choosing criteria one may use.

It may be remarked that interested people's heads swivel when such a person walks by.

NOT A TEACHER

Yes.

Mona is beautiful in every sense. Not only is she physically attractive, but she has that indescribable quality of charisma. When she walks into a room, she turns heads (everyone turns his/her head to admire her). As they say, she owns the room.

She is like the sun. She lights up a room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back