An excuse to do nothing may seem like a perfect mnemonic technique for the lazy student

Koji from Japan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
About the passage below, I don’t understand what "An excuse to do nothing may seem like a perfect mnemonic technique for the lazy student” means. Please explain in easy English.

Although it’s already well known that we should space our studies, new research suggests that we should aim for “minimal interference” during these breaks — deliberately avoiding any activity that could disturb the delicate task of memory formation. So no running errands, checking email, or surfing the web on your smartphone. You really need to give your brain the chance for a complete recharge with no distractions.
An excuse to do nothing may seem like a perfect mnemonic technique for the lazy student, but this discovery may also offer some relief for people with amnesia2 and some forms of dementia3, suggesting new ways to release a hidden, previously unrecognized capacity to learn and remember.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, @Koji from Japan

It is a legal requirement on this forum that you cite the source and author of any text you did not write yourself. Until you do so, we cannot respond.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what the literal meaning of it is, but the writer is, I think, saying that resting, taking a break, whatever you want to call it, may seem like an excuse to do nothing, but it helps with memory formation.

Thank you very much, Tarheel.

Based on the context, I think that’s generally what the writer is saying as well. However, I feel that it seems strange because, fundamentally, it follows the structure "An excuse is a technique," which doesn’t make sense semantically.

fundamentally, it follows the structure "An excuse is a technique," which doesn’t make sense semantically.

Right. So then ignore that and focus on the message. Not every sentence you'll come across is perfectly written. Think about what the writer is saying.

Thank you very much, jutfrank. I’ll do that.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back