Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
ff.jpgHello. What do you call a fried cake like this? It can be filled with cheese, meat or mushrooms.

Honestly, I have no idea. I don't think I've ever seen a deep-fried thing full of cheese, meat or mushrooms. What's round the outside - batter? What I can tell you is that we wouldn't call it a cake.

The closest thing I can think of is a croquette - that's usually mashed potato and something else, dipped in breadcrumbs and then fried. They're popular in Spain (croquetas) but not so much in the UK.

They don't look like fried pierogis. What are they called in Russian?

They don't look like fried pierogis. What are they called in Russian?
We call them ''пирожки''
Acording to academic.ru (an online dicionary)
пирожок

patty
пирожок с грибами — mushroom patty

пирожок с устрицами — oyster patty

пирожок с начинкой из дичи — game patt

страссбургский пирожок — Strassburg patt

слоеный пирожок без начинки — patty shell

We call them ''пирожки''
Acording to academic.ru (an online dicionary)
пирожок

patty
пирожок с грибами — mushroom patty

пирожок с устрицами — oyster patty

пирожок с начинкой из дичи — game patt

страссбургский пирожок — Strassburg patt

слоеный пирожок без начинки — patty shell

I'd use the same word in English: piroshki or pirozhki. We'd probably use the same word as a singular: I haven't had a pirozhki for a long time.

Last edited:
View attachment 3136Hello. What do you call a fried cake like this? It can be filled with cheese, meat or mushrooms.

Are you sure those are the fillings (wrapped with dough) and not ingredients chopped up and homogeneously mixed with flour to be fried?

I am pretty sure we have no English name for them. In the southern Slavic languages they are called burek. My Serbian grandmother made them, and we had a lot of them when we visited Slovenia, so they are evidently a Slavic thing.

And Turkish: börek

This is definitely not a burek because a burek is a pie made of thin layers of dough and filled with cheese or minced meat. It is baked in the oven.

I am not a teacher.

I don't use the word patty of anything.

I have nothing against the word- we had Jamaican patties in the area of London where I lived.

This is definitely not a burek because a burek is a pie made of thin layers of dough and filled with cheese or minced meat. It is baked in the oven.

I am not a teacher.
I was going to ask about the English word for dough made of thin layers like Baklava for example.

Are you sure those are the fillings (wrapped with dough) and not ingredients chopped up and homogeneously mixed with flour to be fried?
I am 100% sure the ingredients are not mixed with flour. We often make pirojki at home.

I was going to ask about the English word for dough made of thin layers like Baklava for example.

The dough that makes up the layers is called phyllo dough. We use the Greek name.

It's called filo pastry in the UK. The things in the first picture don't look like boureki to me.

They look like empanadas. Which is a Spanish word from Latin America, but is becoming known in the US. My browser recognizes it as a valid word.

They don't look like any empanadas I used to buy when I lived in Madrid. They were always half-moons and I think they were baked, not fried.

They looked like this.

Empanadas and piroshkis are both dough wrapped around a filling and fried. (That is, the Latin American-style empanadas I'm familiar with are fried.) But it would be a mistake to use the Spanish word for the Russian dish or vice versa. The name tells us more than the basic structure of the dish; it also gives us broad hints about the flavors and texture.

To me a fritter is deep fried dough with some sort of filling. The dough can be either bready or cakey. These on the other hand are flaky because the covering is pastry dough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back