English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
Consider someone who changed his viewpoints, behavior the way he dressed, the way he behaved etc. all of a sudden. Maybe after a revolution or after having a trip somewhere, he turned out to be a new one. In our language we say the person changed 180 degree! Could you kindly help me with it?
Thanks a million.

Consider someone who changed his viewpoints, behavior the way he dressed, the way he behaved etc. all of a sudden. Maybe after a revolution or after having a trip somewhere, he turned out to be a new one. In our language we say the person changed 180 degree! Could you kindly help me with it?

The first term that occurs to me is "fickle", which would cover a lot of the things I think you're referring to. Such a person can also be "changeable", "capricious", "faddish". Somebody who is easily influenced to change their behaviour by new acquaintances and experiences is often said to be "impressionable".
In English you can say that somebody has changed their mind/opinion 180 degrees, meaning they now hold the opposite point of view. However it's not common and doesn't necessarily mean that this is a habit of theirs or a particular character trait.

not a teacher

Consider 'a born-again (appropriate noun).'

A person who has a life-changing religious experience often becomes a 'born-again Christian' (Christ said 'You must be born again').

By extension, someone who undergoes an epiphany (a sudden or great revelation), or whose behaviour, attitudes, morality etc radically change overnight is often said to become 'a born-again conservative', 'a born-again vegetarian', 'a born-again puritan', a born-again adulterer', a 'born-again health-freak' and so on.

Rover

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back