[Grammar] AmI right to hate "Not only, ... but also"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Editor

Member Type
English Teacher
I edit a lot of English written by Chinese people, and often come across sentences like:

UsingEnglish.com not only helps teachers, but also benefits students.

[This is only a silly example, so please ignore whatever else might be wrong with it. In fact, this example does not upset me as much as others, i just can't think of anything better/worse.]

I believe it is a direct translation of 不光,... 而且...。

What I am asking about is whether the "but also" is the best way to start the next part of the sentence.

Personally, I think this sounds better:

UsingEnglish.com not only helps teachers, it benefits students.

Do people agree with me? Is there something wrong with the use of "Not only... but also"? Is there a place for "Not only, ... but also"?

Also, I am British, could this be a British/American English thing?

I edit a lot of English written by Chinese people, and often come across sentences like:

[This is only a silly example, so please ignore whatever else might be wrong with it. In fact, this example does not upset me as much as others, i just can't think of anything better/worse.]

What I am asking about is whether the "but also" is the best way to start the next part of the sentence.

Do people agree with me? Is there something wrong with the use of "Not only... but also"? Is there a place for "Not only, ... but also"?

How would you rephrase "Not only Peter Cook, but also Dudley Moore", for example?

Just try to avoid excessive repetition. Since this is a correct usage of the English language only an immoderate repetition of it throughout the text would annoy the readers.

Not a native speaker

I think one problem may be the overuse of certain forms, which often comes from the seeming obsession some exams have with connectors. How often, say, do you use furthermore/moreover? Idon't use them as much as many learners. Not only/but also overuse may be more common amongst Chinese learners, I really couldn't say, but it is not confined to them by any means.

Sadly for you, as we move towards computer-graded writing, this is likely to increase not decrease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back