[Grammar] American English: Did you ever go to a basketball game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Did you ever go to a basketball game?

Number 1.

Re: Did you ever go to a basketball game?

2 and 3 are unnatural.

Are the above sentences acceptable to native speakers of American English?
I think that, when a question is phrased like that, it's probably a good idea to stand back and let native speakers of AmE respond.

NOTE: 5jj's remark above was addressed to constantinophilo and tedmc.

Indeed. It was in no way directed at sitifan. Sorry if I did not make that clear.

Last edited:
They are all "acceptable" to this AmE speaker. 1 is the most natural and the one I would choose. If I heard 3 I'd be inclined to guess that the speaker was somewhat ill-educated.

I find #1 and #2 equally acceptable, and both quite natural. The third one sounds like I'm asking if they ever completed a goal from a prior conversation. They must have mentioned to me that they intended to attend a baseball game at some point in the past. Now that I'm talking to them again later, I'm asking if they ever made it to a game.

In that context, #3 would be natural.

I find #1 and #2 equally acceptable, and both quite natural. The third one sounds like I'm asking if they ever completed a goal from a prior conversation. They must have mentioned to me that they intended to attend a baseball game at some point in the past. Now that I'm talking to them again later, I'm asking if they ever made it to a game.

In that context, #3 would be natural.
To me, they all amount to the same question, phrased differently, and I'd answer them all the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back