Amanda put on a heavy coat even on a hot summer day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Amanda _____aheavy coat even on a hot summer day.
(A) wear (B) put on (C) wearing (D) putting on

Options A, C and D aren't grammatical. Option B seems semantically odd to me. Is option B acceptable to native speakrs?

Last edited:
B is the only one that leads to a grammatical sentence but it seems strange to me that they've chosen a verb that can only refer to the past. I would have expected a comment on a general habit there. I fully expected to see "wears" as an option.

sitifan, if your source is the same as it was in this thread, please say so every time you quote a question from it.

It's quite normal to use the past simple to express a past habit, as it does here.

What makes this a bit odd is that the past simple tense primes the reader's mind for a specific (one-time) past event. It's only at the end of the sentence when the meaning becomes clear. Such a misreading wouldn't happen with the sentence in context.

The confusion is further confounded by the nature of the exercise itself—as emsr2d2 suggests: the present tense of option A (wear) primes an interpretation of a present habit.

Last edited:
Amanda _____aheavy coat even on a hot summer day.
(A) wear (B) put on (C) wearing (D) putting on

Options A, C and D aren't grammatical. Option B seems semantically odd to me. Is option B acceptable to native speakrs?

I would say:

Amanda wore a heavy coat even on hot summer days.

( Do you want to devise some new questions? I'll help. :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back