Am I wrong in my understanding of the word "blithe"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helter Skelter

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Source: Dictionary.com

Definitions:

1) without thought or regard; carefree; heedless

Example: a blithe indifference to anyone's feelings.

2) joyous, merry, or happy in disposition; glad; cheerful:

Example: Everyone loved her for her blithe spirit.

To me, this word seems to convey the connotation of someone not being worried or concerned about something that normally brings great concern to people. The person simply does not give an iota of care about this concern; this person defies all expectations. With this lack of care, the subject is uninhibited by bad/unpleasant feelings that people normally experience in regard to a dangerous or bad situation--it's as though the person has developed a strong immunity against whatever thing that would normally induce most people into a state of reluctance. The subject can go about being"happy and worry-free"; feeling as though they're invincible or they don't care about what danger lurks in the shadow.

Meaning 1 is something to the effect of " some insensitive happy-go-lucky jerk who acts carefree with his/her life without ever stopping to consider how his/her actions may have harmful effects on other people". Whereas meaning 2 connotes "being blissfully ignorant or beatific"

Am I wrong in my analysis?

Last edited:
I am not sure about jerk and beatific. They may be a bit excessive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back