Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Is there any difference between "Everything is going to be all right" and "Everything is going to be alright?" Between "all right" and "alright".

Most people think there's no difference, although some purists (pedants?) consider 'alright' to be non-standard.

Usage note

There is no logical reason for insisting that all right should be written as two words rather than as alright, when other single-word forms such as altogether have long been accepted.
Nevertheless, alright is still regarded as being unacceptable in formal writing.
(Oxford)

In that context, I'd use alright.

I use all right to say, for instance, that the answers were all right — meaning all of them were correct.

What does your dictionary say?

That's one opinion. Let's see what others think.

(Cross-post.)

Re: "On" in my sentence

Ask Bob Marley.

Is there any difference between "Everything is going to be all right" and "Everything is going to be alright?" Between "all right" and "alright".
What research have you done?

PS - To answer your original question, no, there's no difference. They mean the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back