Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
All I saw was the people in the church that had broken bones and they were healing wrong – it didn’t make any sense to me. So when I was saying these things to the [sports] coaches or teachers I was just speaking for my parents, I wasn’t really speaking for myself, so it was a kind of a sell-out thing, which I really never wanted to do again. But also it helped me embrace the spiritual concept later on, and actually see the power in that, along with the knowledge of doctors these days, so it did help me with my concept of spirituality.’
Mick Wall "Enter night"
Context.The speaker, James Hetfield, was in a Christian sect as a child that prohibited going to the doctros or to hospital.
Does the bolded mean that now having experienced the doctors he says that he sect was right? And I can't get what "kind of a sell-out thing" means here, it does not mean betryal here. Please explain.

Yes, he means he was betraying what he knew deep down to be true.

He knew as a child his sect was wrong. He was "selling out" by mouthing the words his parents would want him to say. Even wrote a song about it. (Metallica - The God That Failed)

Pride you took pride you feel
Pride that you felt when you'd kneel
Trust you gave a child to save
Left you cold and him in grave

I see faith in your eyes
Never you hear the discouraging lies
I hear faith in your cries
Broken is the promise, betrayal
The healing hand held back by deepened nail
Follow the god that failed

He knew as a child his sect was wrong. He was "selling out" by mouthing the words his parents would want him to say. Even wrote a song about it. (Metallica - The God That Failed)
Wow, thanks for the explanation!

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back