Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

Have I used "alleviate" and "contaminate" correctly and naturally? What do you think about this?

Plastic waste has a detrimental impact on the environment as it contaminates nature. So, I think we must alleviate our use of plastic.

You could say:

We should reduce the use of plastic.

I know but I want to see if that works in a formal context.

Two things. One, I am not sure what you are trying to say there. (That's why I suggested "reduce".) Two, my suggestion is perfectly good in a formal context.

Because "alleviate" means "make less severe". We don't describe our use of plastic as severe; consequently we can't alleviate it.

What about minimize?

Is this completely okay?

Plastic waste has a detrimental impact on the environment as it contaminates nature. So, I think we must minimize our use of plastic.

Is "mess up" used correctly? Is my sentence okay?

Plastic waste messes up nature and we must use less of it.

The top definition for "mess" as a verb is "to make it dirty or untidy". So I am trying to use "mess up" here.

Plastic waste is bad for the environment as it is difficult to dispose of and it takes a long time to decompose. It is also a hazard to wildlife, so its use must be minimised.

Last edited by a moderator:
* Plastic waste has a detrimental impact on the environment as it contaminates nature. So, I think we must minimize our use of plastic.

Is that okay?

What about minimize?

Is this completely okay?

Plastic waste has a detrimental impact on the environment as it contaminates nature. So, I think we must minimize our use of plastic.
Reduce and minimize are both better than alleviate.

I prefer reduce because it's more concise.

Reduce and minimize are both better than alleviate.

I prefer reduce because it's more concise.

I think "minimize" is to reduce to a greater degree to an absolute minimum.

Instead of "contaminate nature", I would say "pollute the (natural) environment". "Nature" is too all-encompassing.

I agree that the environment works better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back