Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

Have I used "alleviate" correctly and naturally in this sentence?

Parents should supervise their children to alleviate the detrimental impact of social media on their mind.

You realise I'm very picky when it comes to (semi-)academic writing such as this, don't you?

Well, I don't particularly like the collocation alleviate impact.

The last phrase on their mind is not right at all.

You realise I'm very picky when it comes to (semi-)academic writing such as this, don't you?

Well, I don't particularly like the collocation alleviate impact.

I realized that a long time ago my fastidious friend.:)

Can't I say "alleviate negative impact of something"?

The last phrase on their mind is not right at all.

What should I say?

Can't I say "alleviate negative impact of something"?

Ugh. Well, I don't have a huge problem with it but I'd prefer a different collocation.

The word alleviate has the core sense of making something lighter. This is good for when the idea is that the verb's object has a certain heaviness. I personally don't think that the conception of an impact as a heaviness is quite right (though it's not very wrong). The core sense of an impact is that something hits something else. When talking about things hitting other things, we tend more often to use the metaphor of hardness (soften a blow, etc.)

We also tend very commonly to use the idea of the gradability of impacts. In this way, we can say that something has a high impact or a great impact on something. Following this idea, we use collocations like lessen the impact, minimise the impact, and reduce the impact.

I don't know if you're aware of collocation dictionaries. If not, I strongly recommend you start using them. I think you will find them very useful. It's also important to bear in mind the core sense of a word, when learning how to use it effectively.

http://www.freecollocation.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Alleviate is on this page:

http://www.freecollocation.com/search?word=impact

VERB + IMPACT achieve, create, exert, have, make Variations in the interest rate will have an impact on the whole housing market. You certainly made a big impact on Carter. | feel The initial impact of the reforms will be felt most keenly in primary schools. | analyse, assess, consider, evaluate, examine, explore, judge, measure, monitor, study It is difficult to judge the likely impact of the changes on employment patterns. | enhance, increase, maximize | alleviate, cushion, lessen, minimize, reduce, soften

I see your point but I have seen "alleviate impact" a lot.

I'm not sure about 'a lot', but okay, that's one example. And if you don't want to take my advice, that's fine.

As for the rest of the sentence, it works fine without on their mind. Just finish after social media.

I'm not sure about 'a lot', but okay, that's one example. And if you don't want to take my advice, that's fine.

As for the rest of the sentence, it works fine without on their mind. Just finish after social media.

If you say "alleviate impact" is not 100% okay, then I won't use it. It's not etched in stone. I will use "minimize".

Parents should supervise their children to minimize the detrimental impact of social media.

Alleviate is on this page:

Oh, yes, so it is. I'll be writing to the editors forthwith.

Joking aside—I did say I was being very picky, didn't I. Possibly too much so on this occasion. Alleviate your impacts away.

If you say "alleviate impact" is not 100% okay, then I won't use it. It's not etched in stone. I will use "minimize".

Thanks. That's the kind of respect for my authority that I appreciate.

:)-D)

You could talk about the impact on the children's mental health, but not on their minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back