Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Source: Korean SAT Preparation, page 170, question 5

We are the drivers controlling the direction our lives will take. Whether you follow a spiritual guiding light or have a gut instinct that urges you to act, ultimately, you are the one writing the manuscript of your life story. Research shows that adults make approximately 35,000 decisions a day, both consciously and subconsciously. Whether it is true or not, we face decisions from the moment we wake up until the very seconds before we fall asleep, all to repeat this cycle in just a few short hours. Although many of these choices and decisions are routine, they have an impact on our life. One decision leads to another, creating a cascading chain of events. The point? If you are feeling yourself getting stuck in an unhappy environment, alter a choice you make day after day. No, waking up 15 minutes earlier to do a morning run or deciding to smile at your coworkers as you walk past them will not instantly make your life perfect, but it could lead to a chain reaction that leads to an improvement.

====================
What does all in "all to repeat" mean? Does it mean "35,000 decisions a day"?

"all to repeat this cycle ..." can be read as "only/just/simply to repeat this cycle ...". It does suggest that the whole cycle repeats every 24 hours but I don't think you can say that "all" simply refers to "35,000 decisions a day".

Note that a similar phrase "all/only/just for" is used to express futility.

I booked the venue, ordered the dress, and spent thousands of pounds on flowers for the ceremony, all for my fiancé to call off the wedding with less than 24 hours' notice.
She spent hours painting the room in various shades of green, all for the client to walk in and announce they now hated green and wanted it all done in red.

It's the unavoidability of the cycle for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back