"All of which" or "all of whom"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordic Bill

Member Type
Student or Learner
This one has me thinking. And I am beginning to suspect both options are correct.

"He was one of a group of archeologists, all of which / all of whom died under mysterious circumstances".

I am sure which is correct here since hikers is a noun, i.e. a "thing". I am doubtul about whom though, since a little bird tells me that can only be used in the singular ... and we have several hikers here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

I would use "whom" since it clearly refers to people, i.e., the archeologists.

This one has me thinking. And I am beginning to suspect both options are correct.

"He was one of a group of archeologists, all of which / all of whom died under mysterious circumstances".

I am sure which is correct here since hikers is a noun, i.e. a "thing". I am doubtul about whom though, since a little bird tells me that can only be used in the singular ... and we have several hikers here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

There is no reason to only use "whom" in the singular. You are talking about a group of people, therefore who/whom would be appropriate depending on the sentence. In this context, all of whom is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back