Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I read this expression, "all got up regardless", but am finding it difficult to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

They passed from room to room—all got up regardless: thick carpets, deep soft chairs—shining furniture. The bathroom had a weighing machine in it, a huge jar of purple bath crystals, and a shower. The Stevens followed their host, wide eyed, speaking to one another in hushed whispers if they happened to be behind, but keeping up a series of enthusiastic “Well, I never’s!”and “I say’s!” if they happened to be in front of the procession and alongside their host, and Mr. Montgomery grew prouder and more expansive at every step.

- R. C. Sherriff, The Fortnight in September, Chapter 27

This is a novel published in 1931, which describes a fortnight in September in which an English family consisting of Mr. and Mrs. Stevens, Mary, Dick, and Ernie go on a holiday. One evening, they are invited to the tea party of Mr. Montgomery at his house. Now they are being shown around his house during the party.

In this part, I wonder what this underlined expression means.
My vague guess is that "got up" here means "decorated", so it means "all decorated/furnished, regardless of whether the rooms are used by people or not", but I am not so sure. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back