Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Uzbek
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Turkey
I tried to translate one of Einstein's quatations. Please, correct if there is any mistake.

“ İf you ask me a question and give an hour, I spend 45 minutes in reading and understanding the question, 10 minutes in finding out the solution and the rest of the time I spend in solving it".

I tried to translate one of Einstein's quatations. Please, correct if there is any mistake.

“ İf you ask me a question and give me an hour, I spend 45 minutes [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] reading and understanding the question, 10 minutes [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] finding out the solution and the rest of the time I spend [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] solving it".

I have made amendments to the grammar above. The only problem I have with it is that "finding out the solution" and "solving" are the same thing. Unless Einstein was trying to be funny, I think either the "10 minutes" or the "rest of the time" would have to say something else.

What about this?

İf you ask me a question and give me an hour, I spend 45 minutes reading and understanding the question, 10 minutes finding out the ways of solution and the rest of the time I spend solving it".

What about this?

İf you ask me a question and give me an hour, I spend 45 minutes reading and understanding the question, 10 minutes finding out the ways of solution and the rest of the time I spend solving it".

Maybe "...10 minutes working out how to solve it..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back