Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
"If you want the air con to be hotter or colder, just let me know."

I want to ask the passenger if he is OK with the air con. Is the sentence above correct?

Thanks

We don't usually use "hotter" to describe an air conditioner. You could ask if they want it set higher or lower.

We use the (Japanized version of) "air con" in Japanese, but I think people call it "AC" in English.

Given the ambiguity in higher and lower with respect to air conditioning (does "higher" mean "more cooling" or "warmer temperature"?), I recommend asking "is it cool enough for you?"

I think an air-conditioner can be turned up/down.

Americans don't normally use that term. A/C is the usual phrase.

Do Americans say air con as air con? How do Americans say air con?

I guess you mean in written form it is written as A/C?

We don't usually use "hotter" to describe an air conditioner. You could ask if they want it set higher or lower.

I think an air-conditioner can be turned up/down.

Seems confusing. Since air con temperature will be colder when the temperature is turned down/set lower, but the temperature will be hotter if the air con fan level (not temperature) is turned down/set lower.

In my experience it is not common. But it is understandable.

Americans don't normally use that term. A/C is the usual phrase.

I didn't hear it used much in BrE, but it is a fairly standard term in parts of Asia. I remember thinking it was odd the first time I heard it used, by a South Asian speaker, but I use it now.

Is my sentence is the first post wrong? "If you want the air con to be hotter or colder, just let me know."

Are these sentences correct?

A) Is the air con too cold for you? Would you like to make the air con warmer/hotter?
A) Is the air con too warm/hot for you? Would you like to make the air con colder?

They look like literal translations from your native language.

A) Is the air con too cold for you? Would you like to make the air con warmer/hotter?
A) Is the air con too warm/hot for you? Would you like to make the air con colder?

I wouldn't use them- I would turn it up/down.

Do Americans say air con as air con? How do Americans say air con?

I guess you mean in written form it is written as A/C?

We would pronounce "air con" as it's written if we used that term, but we don't. We pronounce A/C as "ay see" and often use that phrase in spoken American English.

A) Is the air con too cold for you? Would you like me to make the air con warmer/hotter?
A) Is the air con too warm/hot for you? Would you like me to make the air con colder?

They are grammatically correct but unnatural. It's better to ask your passengers whether they are comfortable as I suggested above or perhaps say let me know if you're too warm or too cold.

I think an air con gives off warm/cool air instead of itself being warm/cool.

I think an air con gives off warm/cool air instead of itself being warm/cool.

Air con in tropical countries like Malaysia and Singapore (where OP is from) only blows cool air. It is not clear if turning the air con up or down means having the temperature warmer or cooler. There is not only the temperature adjustment, but also the fan speed, direction of fan, etc.
I'd say: Is the temperature OK for you or would it like it cooler/warmer?

I think the OP lives in the USA, where if you say "Do you want me to turn the AC up?" the person will know you mean "Do you want it cooler?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back