Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hello everyone,

I´m looking for example sentences using Future Perfect plus a time clause with the word After". I´ve been trying to make sentences on my own, but I´m not sure that are gramatically correct. For exanple, is the sentence "After she arrives, you will have left the house." gramatically OK? Could you please point me to some other examples I can learn? Thanks a lot in advance.

Hello everyone, Unnecessary. Just go ahead and ask your question.

I'm looking for example sentences using the future perfect plus a time clause with the word "after". I've been trying to make sentences on my own, but I'm not sure that they are grammatically correct.

For example, is the sentence "After she arrives, you will have left the house no full stop here" grammatically OK correct? Could you please point me to some other examples I can learn?

Thanks a lot in advance. Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the "Thank" icon, found by hovering your cursor over the "Like" button.

Your example sentence is incorrect. We would say "By the time she arrives, you will have left the house".

Your example sentence is incorrect. We would say "By the time she arrives, you will have left the house".
Is there any example sentence with the future perfect + "after"? I tried but I could not find any, so far.

After she has been there for an hour, he will have been there for two hours, since he arrived there an hour before she did. :)

After she has been there for an hour, he will have been there for two hours, since he arrived there an hour before she did.

It's better with When, meaning 'at the point at which'. The word 'after' doesn't make a lot of sense, as it means 'after the point at which'.

Do you not agree?

It's better with When, meaning 'at the point at which'. The word 'after' doesn't make a lot of sense, as it means 'after the point at which'.

Do you not agree?
I agree. I'd start that example with either "When" or "Once".

Do you not agree?
It works fine for me with "after," though I agree that "when" and "once" also work.

It's common for people to say things like "After you have sat there for an hour, somebody may finally ask you if you need any help."

If you're concerned about absolute semantic precision ("after the point at which"), we can simply add the words "a little over" to the main clause:

After she has been there for an hour, he will have been there a little over two hours, since he arrived there an hour before she did.

Of course, I can save my original sentence from your objection simply by saying that I didn't mean EXACTLY two hours (to the second).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back