Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
hi sir, i dont catch why in below sentence 'being' is used before 'notified'. i think if omit 'being', the sentence looks good to provide a perfect meaning to the readers. can you explain why 'being' is used here?

Temboo's cloud service automatically generated code to make the Artik device send a notification to a phone when the tank ran low and let a user tap a button on the phone to remotely start a refill pump after being notified.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: a question about a grammar in a sentence.

'After' is a preposition, so the gerund 'being', a noun, is needed.

Hi​. [STRIKE]sir,[/STRIKE] I don't [STRIKE]catch[/STRIKE] understand why [STRIKE]in below sentence[/STRIKE] 'being' is used before 'notified' in the sentence below. I think if I omit 'being', the sentence [STRIKE]looks good to provide a perfect[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]meaning[/STRIKE] would be understandable to the readers. Can you explain why 'being' is used here?

Temboo's cloud service automatically generated code to make the Artik device send a notification to a phone when the tank ran low and let a user tap a button on the phone to remotely start a refill pump after being notified.

I have changed your thread title to make it more relevant to the contents of your question. Thread titles should include some/all of the words/phrases you are querying.

Please note my changes above, marked in red. It is important to follow these rules of written English at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".

In addition, please don't refer to all users here as "sir". We are not all male.

Hi, Thanks i will keep following your instruction from now.

You would not have written 'i' again if you had followed her instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back