Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I would like to understand the nuances between the words affable, amiable, friendly, and cheerful. Would you please help me understand them.

Affable:friendly, approachable 1. "He is an affable man, always willing to stop and talk."

Can we say this as: 2. "He is an amiable man, always willing to stop and talk."
3. "He is a friendly man, always willing to stop and talk."
4. "He is a cheeful man, always willing to stop and talk."
5. "He is an approachable man, always willing to stop and talk."

Source:Newbury House affable.

I would like to ask if "2, 3, 4, and 5 have the same sense as 1."

Thank you.

Last edited:
Why have you added a comma after "always" in 2 and 3?

'Approachable' doesn't necessarily convey the same sense of happiness that 'cheerful' does.

People can be friendly, affable, and amiable without necessarily being overtly cheerful.

'Approachable' doesn't necessarily convey the same sense of happiness that 'cheerful' does.

People can be friendly, affable, and amiable without necessarily being overtly cheerful.

Then do 1, 2, 3, and 5 have the same sense, but 4 not?

Thank you.

Amiable:Friendly, cheerful ->Newbury House.

Thank you.

In this definition, Newbury House is not typical of most of the dictionaries here.

I agree with the dictionaries that don't list cheerful​ as a meaning of "amiable".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back