Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello, I have a student who seems to be having some problems with some use of english sentences. One which came up the other day was regarding the use of Admit, the sentence the student used was "A admitted having broken...." and the correct answer is "A admitted he had broken......" according to the key. Can someone give a rule why the answer the student wrote is wrong? Thanks :-D

I don't think it's wrong; just a bit convoluted. One could also say "A admitted breaking..."

Hello, I have a student who seems to be having some problems with some use of English sentences. One which came up the other day was regarding the use of Admit, the sentence the student used was "A admitted having broken...." and the correct answer is "A admitted he had broken......" according to the key. Can someone give a rule why the answer the student wrote is wrong? Thanks :-D

"admitted having broken" is perfectly correct, if a bit formal. It's a poor test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back