Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Are these correct and logical?

1) He wants to be admired because he is intelligent. But he isn't, and he knows it.
2) He wants to be admired for his intelligence. But he isn't, and he knows it.

I think in each case the first sentence asserts that he is indeed intelligent and then the second second contradicts that. I am not sure they work. They seem illogical to me although I can understand them.

1. He wants to be admired for his intelligence. (My interpretation.(You could read the original sentence as meaning that because he's intelligent he wants to be admired.)) As for the second sentence, I'm not sure if he knows he isn't admired or he knows he isn't intelligent.
2. That's normally the that would be phrased. As for the second sentence, the same thing as before.

They're both wrong.

1) He wants to be admired because he is intelligent. But he isn't, and he knows it.

This is incoherent. In the first sentence, the speaker is saying he's intelligent, which is then followed by a direct contradiction in the second.

2) He wants to be admired for his intelligence. But he isn't, and he knows it.

This is also incoherent. The first sentence doesn't say he's intelligent, so the second doesn't follow.

This is what you mean:

He wants to be admired for being intelligent. But he isn't, and he knows it.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back