Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello everyone,
He is gone. I have heard this many times in Cricket commentary. What does it mean? I think "He has gone".
Is it passive voice or "gone" is adjective in present tense? likewise
I was born.
I am interested. These sentence also passive or "born and interested? adjective?
Thank you

"He is gone". I have heard this many times in [STRIKE]C[/STRIKE] cricket commentar[STRIKE]y[/STRIKE]ies. What does it mean? I think it should be "He has gone".
Without further context I have no idea what is meant.
Is it passive voice
Intransitive verbs do not have passive forms.
or is "gone" [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] an adjective in present tense?
Adjectives do not show tense.

I mean, when a batsman is out from the game, I have heard this in cmmentaries "he is gone"
Thank you.

I don't watch cricket very often (fortunately!) but I have heard "He's gone" used by the commentators to reflect that a batsman is out. I'm with 5jj in that, as far as I'm concerned, the "He's" is a shortened form of "He has" not "He is". Are you certain that you have heard the commentators say those full three words - "He is gone"?

I don't watch cricket very often (fortunately!) but I have heard "He's gone" used by the commentators to reflect that a batsman is out. I'm with 5jj in that, as far as I'm concerned, the "He's" is a shortened form of "He has" not "He is". Are you certain that you have heard the commentators say those full three words - "He is gone"?

I've only ever heard "he's", "I think he's gone". Mind you, there are 13 hits for "he is gone" in the BNC and 193 in COCA. I have to say it's use doesn't disturb me at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back