Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Could you please tell me which sentences are more formal in academic writing?

1) "A 3-m DEM file, which was taken from X organization and was related to the main river, was used for hydraulic analysis."
2) "A 3-m DEM file, which was taken from X organization and related to the main river, was used for hydraulic analysis."

Or do you have a better suggestion?

Thanks,
Bahar

A 3-m DEM file, taken from X organisation and related to the main river, was used for hydraulic analysis.

Should there be an "is" before "related"?
I am curious how a file can be related to a "the main river" and why the river is not named.

I think the verb 'to be' should not be used before an adjectival participle phrase, but I am not a teacher.

I am curious how a file can be related to a "the main river" and why the river is not named.
That type of file (DEM) is a spatial file.

That hasn't helped me. What is a "spatial file"? I still don't understand how a file can be "related to a main river". Do you mean that it "relates to a specific river"?

Last edited:
I know. I just spotted my own typo and fixed it before I even saw your post.

I think the verb 'to be' should not be used before an adjectival participle phrase, but I am not a teacher.

I think it could go either way. "And" could be a conjunction, in which case the clause would not be participial.

I think it can only be a participial phrase instead of a clause because a subject is missing, but I am not a teacher.

The subject is the same - the file.
"Spatial file" meaning 3-D computer model?

The subject is the same - the file.
If you meant the following, I would consider it wrong, and I hope a teacher would correct me if I was wrong, as I am not a teacher.

'A 3-m DEM file, taken from X organisation and is related to the main river, was used for hydraulic analysis.' :cross:

Is the above sentence wrong with the "is", teachers?

I would consider "is" to be incorrect.

I think 'is' is incorrect there as 'is' is incorrect below, but I am not a teacher.
'A 3-year-old child, lovely and is chubby, was put in a crib.':cross:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back