Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Here is a test on vocabulary selection, cited from an exercise book of CATTI (China Accreditation Test for Translators and Interpreters) level 2.

A somewhat singular and solitary person, he demonstrated early in his life a capacity for hard work, long hours, and ______. Almost a personification of the Protestant work ethic, Thorndike simply abhorred making even the slightest error and consequently was always striving for perfection in his work.

A. accuracy B. precision C. vision D. permission

My own answer is accuracy, but the book's answer for reference is B. I hope you teachers could give me some explain. Thanks.

I'll probably begin with Thorndike and find out how accuracy and precision could differ in his trade. ;-)

I would accept either answer, but I prefer "precision".

I like precision as well, because precision is about being repeatably on target. But I doubt most native speakers know the technical differences between "precision" and "accuracy."

precision_accuracy.png

Thanks to all....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back