Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I was in a restaurant with my cousin A and his friend B. B knows that A drinks beer and wine. My cousin usually drank three bottles of beer and then some wine. B was surprised that my cousin didn't drink any so he asked me cousin if he wanted to drink alcohol. My cousin hesitated to reply because he wanted to drink but his doctor won't allow him to do so because he has gout now. So I said to B "His doctor ordered him to abstain from beer and wine". Is this sentence natural?

Yes, it's fine.

It's more natural to say 'His doctor told him to stop drinking alcohol' or 'He's under doctor's orders to keep off the booze'.

(You could have kept that preamble shorter and not used 'my cousin' so much.)

Doctor's orders is the phrase I'd use.

The doctor would be more likely to tell him to drink no alcohol—not just beer and wine—or your cousin might think it's OK to drink vodka, whisky and tequila.

Try to avoid using "A" and "B" etc instead of names. It would be a lot easier to read if it said something like "I was in a restaurant with my cousin Bob and his friend Tim". From then on, you can refer to them by name.

The doctor would be more likely to tell him to drink no alcohol—not just beer and wine—or your cousin might think it's OK to drink vodka, whisky and tequila.

Aw man, loophole closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back