[Answered] A woman returned from Russia (48 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yesterday there was a case of Covid reported in my city. Since our city hasn't had any cases for more than 200 days. Many people were talking about that. A friend of mine who didn't know much about it asked me the details about it. I said to her:

A woman returned from Russia was tested positive when she received the regular testing in a hospital*. Later, she was confimed infected. She went to a restaurant and a bakery store before she did the testing in the hospital and now the shops she had visited were closed.

* The woman got regular testing of the Covid virus because she came back from abroad. Anyone comes back from abroad will get regular testing, once a week, say. But before she got the regular testing in a hospital, she went to some places, eating and drinking with friends.

After she came back from Russia, she was put into quarantine. This happened when she finished her quarantine.

Please help me with the italic sentences.

Yesterday, there was a case of COVID reported in my city, where [STRIKE]Since our city hasn't[/STRIKE] we hadn't had any cases for more than 200 days. Many people were talking about that. A friend of mine who didn't know much about it asked me the details. [STRIKE]about it.[/STRIKE] I said to her:

A woman returned from Russia [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] and tested positive [STRIKE]when she received the regular testing[/STRIKE] at a routine check in a hospital. Later, she was confirmed infected. She'd visited [STRIKE]went to[/STRIKE] a restaurant and a bakery store before she [STRIKE]did the testing[/STRIKE] was tested in the hospital, and now [STRIKE]the shops she had visited were[/STRIKE] the restaurant and bakery have been closed.

The woman [STRIKE]got regular testing of the[/STRIKE] was routinely tested for COVID [STRIKE]Covid virus[/STRIKE] because she'd been [STRIKE]came back from[/STRIKE] abroad. Anyone [STRIKE]comes back[/STRIKE] returning from abroad needs to be tested. [STRIKE]will get regular testing, once a week, say.[/STRIKE] But before [STRIKE]she got the regular testing in a hospital, she went to[/STRIKE] getting tested, she had visited some places, eating and drinking with friends.

After she came back from Russia, she was put into quarantine. This happened [STRIKE]when[/STRIKE] after she [STRIKE]finished her[/STRIKE] was out of quarantine.

Please help me with the italic sentences.

I appreciate your help, kindness and patience, teechar.

I have two questions about the corrected paragraph:

A woman returned from Russia and tested positive at a routine check in a hospital. Later, she was confirmed infected. She'd visited a restaurant and a bakery store before she was tested in the hospital, and now the restaurant and bakery have been closed.

1) I wonder if the bold part is a phrase if I use "and". It sounds like a phrase because "returned from Russia and tested positive.....", this latter part, is modifying, "a woman". How can I change it? How about "A woman who returned from Russia tested positive at a routine check in a hospital"? I think this italic one is a sentence and makes sense.

2) Is it better to say "in that hospital" which refers to the aforementioned hospital?

How about "A woman who returned from Russia tested positive after a routine check in a hospital"?

That's good.

2) Is it better to say "in that hospital" which refers to the aforementioned hospital?

No.

~R

1) I wonder if the bold part is a phrase if I use "and". It sounds like a phrase because "returned from Russia and tested positive.....", this latter part, is modifying, "a woman". How can I change it? How about "A woman who returned from Russia tested positive at a routine check in a hospital"? I think this italic one is a sentence and makes sense.
Use either. They both work.

I don't think that's important. Again, either is okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back