Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm trying to describe a situation where a person hears a very loud unpleasant sound and the sound sweeps through them.

Can I use "rattle through skull"? What other choices do I have?

Does this work?

The motorcycles in this old town are really loud. When they pass you, the cacophony of their engines rattles through your skull.

jarring/grating/rasping

Rattles is good. More:

- roars
- resounds
- reverberates
- screams
- careens

Is the whole sentence okay?

The motorcycles in this old town are really loud. When they pass you, the cacophony of their engines rattles through your skull.

My personal opinion: I do not associate the word "rattles" when I think of "really loud" motorcycles. The sound of a motorcycle is distinctive. I would use a more powerful word like one of Charlie's suggestions in Post #3, as well as "pulsates", "rumbles", "thunders".

The motorcycles in this old town are really loud. When they pass you, the cacophony of their engines rattles their bones.

A suggestion.

I made a mistake. I should have said rattles your bones.

I made a mistake. I should have said rattles your bones.
Nice catch, Tarheel! I was about to vote you off of the island! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back