Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Is there an American equivalent to the British term 'a tuck shop'? If there is, what is it? Thank you.

When our North American friends get up later I'm pretty sure they'll say 'candy store'.

Or maybe not — tuck shops sell cakes and pastries as well as sweets and chocolate.

Last edited:
I've never heard this term.

Are they making cakes and pastries on the premises? Or selling prepackaged ones?

We have bakeries which make and sell all kinds of cakes, donuts etc. And candy stores, usually made by the entity doing the selling.

But this "tuck shop" may be more equivalent of one of our "convenience stores." In those one can buy donuts and candy bars and chips and soda. Many of them also make sandwiches and have other deli items.

At all my schools in the UK, the tuck shop was a small area selling just snacks which were available to buy in break times or after lunch. At my primary school, the tuck shop was in the main hallway. At my secondary school, it was located in a corner of the main canteen but on the opposite side to the area which served hot food at lunchtime. The tuck shop food there was available outside of lunchtimes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back