Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Below is what is written on a paper stuck on the door of the toilet of my office.
Could you check whether there is any mistake?

Please be kindly informed

The closetools in the toilet will be disinfected every 2 hours.
You can be rest assured.
Please save paper and throw the used pieces into the waste paper basket.
The environment of the public area should be kept clean by us all.
Thank you for your coorperation

What are closetools?

The toilet bowl. When you sit, the part your skin is in contact with.

That is called the W.C. or water closet.

Rest assured the W.C. will be disinfected every 2 hours. (I have never come across such a notice in the toilet).
Do not waste paper. Throw used paper into the waste paper basket provided. (Are you sure it is a basket and not a bin?)
Please help us to keep the toilet clean.

That is called a notice, not a prompt.

Last edited by a moderator:
[STRIKE]coorperation[/STRIKE] cooperation

And don't start with "Please be kindly informed".

I think it might be time for the OP to visit a different bathroom! ;-)

To sum up and to help me still visit this bathroom, the toilet seat/W.C. is being disinfected every 2 hours. Do not waste paper. Throw used paper into the waste paper bin.

Does this notice sound natural now?

I would omit "being".

For a notice, I think it is better to have items in a list rather than a paragraph.

Last edited:
Do you call the bowl in the wc a wc bowl or a toilet bowl then? The bowl itself is also called a toilet.

And a toilet can also mean the entire room which houses the bowls, wash basins, urinals, etc.

From the dictionaries, the wc being referred to as a cubicle appears to be more of an AmE definition.

Do you call the bowl in the wc a wc bowl or a toilet bowl then? The bowl itself is also called a toilet.

And a toilet can also mean the entire room which houses the bowls, wash basins, urinals, etc.

From the dictionaries, the wc being referred to as a cubicle appears to be more of an AmE definition.
In American English, the fixture is called a toilet or, more casually, a stool. I'd use toilet​ on the sign.

Do you call the bowl in the WC a "WC bowl" or a "toilet bowl" then? In BrE, the whole apparatus (the bowl, the cistern etc) are "the toilet". The part with the water in is the "toilet bowl".

The bowl itself is also called a toilet. According to whom?

And a toilet can also mean the entire room which houses the bowls, wash basins, urinals, etc. That's mostly true in BrE.

[STRIKE]From the[/STRIKE] According to dictionaries (which dictionaries?), the WC being referred to as a cubicle appears to be more of an AmE definition.

See above.

I would imagine most Americans have no idea what a WC is. It's not a common term here. We use "restroom" or "men's/women's room" for public places. In private settings, we would refer to a bathroom (even if there is no bathtub.)

The apparatus itself is the "toilet."

I actually find "where is the toilet?" to be mildly vulgar. We use euphemism.

Generally, we don't use "WC" in BrE much either. It might be used on a sign on the door to the toilets in a public place but we don't really use it outside that situation. With regard to SoothingDave's last sentence, that's a clear difference between AmE and BrE. "Where's the toilet/loo?" and "Where are the toilets/loos?" are entirely natural in BrE, and definitely not vulgar.
We don't use "restroom" at all in this context. We use "bathroom" to refer only to the room with the bath/shower, sink (and usually the toilet) in a private house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back