Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

It reads as follows:

This is to certify that the referenced fiesel engine was manufactured by XXX against a maintained quality system meeting ZZZZ requirements and in accordance with the current new engine build specifications and new engine test standard BBB, both at (the) latest revision (and) at the time of original manufacture.

Does the marked fragment mean "the diesel engine referred to/in question was manufactured by XXX based on/according to a maintained quality system meeting (does "meeting" apply to the engine or the system) ZZZZ requirements and in accordance with the current new engine build specifications and new engine test standard BBB that were on force both at (the) latest revision (and) at the time of original manufacture.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Re: a text about a Diesel engine

Why have you capitalised "diesel".

I have corrected it.

Last edited:

I have corrected It.

Why have you capitalised "it"?

(And you haven't corrected "diesel" anywhere in post #1.)

The text was written in AE.

Last edited:

The text was written in AE.

I'm not sure what difference that makes! Anyway, you definitely haven't edited post #1. If the word "diesel" is capitalised in the text you have quoted, then it's OK to leave it in in the quote, on the basis that you shouldn't correct typos or anything else if you are quoting directly. However, when you write your own text, you should not capitalise it because you should write it correctly.

Of course, if Diesel were a brand name, it should be capitalised. However, the company Diesel make jeans and aftershave, not engines.

I have succeeded in lowercasing diesel in my headings not in tours.

I have succeeded in lowercasing "diesel" in my [STRIKE]headings[/STRIKE] title but not in yours.

I'm talking about the body of post #1. Simply click on "Edit Post", and change the "D" to a "d" each time it's appropriate, then click Save.

It does not work.

It does not work.

I've done it for you. I left the first one capitalised as, presumably, that is how it was (incorrectly) written in the original.

Could someone answer my main question, please? It seems to me that this text in question is easier than that in the other thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back